Winter Pet Care
Misconceptions About Winter
Many people believe that because their pets have a coat of fur they are able to withstand the cold better than humans. This is not the case. Like us, animals are accustomed to the warmth of indoor shelter and cold weather can as hard on them as it is on people. Forcing animals to be outside during harsh weather can lead to serious illness.
Tips for Indoor Safety in Winter
Tips for Winter Safety
Follow these guidelines to protect your pets in cold weather:
Long-haired breeds like Huskies do better in cold weather than short-haired breeds like Dachshunds. Cats and small dogs
that must wade shoulder-deep in snow will feel cold sooner than larger animals.
If your dog will tolerate them, consider equipping them with special booties that protect their paws from cold, chemicals, and salt. Booties will also keep your dog from licking the salt off its feet, which can cause inflammation of the digestive track. Also, if your dog will tolerate a sweater, use it to provide added warmth, remembering however, that pets lose most of their
body heat through the pads of their feet, their ears, and their respiratory tract.
Symptoms of Cold
When outdoors with your pet, watch for the following signs of exposure:
If you notice any of these signs, return your pet indoors immediately.
Keep an eye out for two serious conditions in pets that are cause by cold weather:
What to Do for Hypothermia:
Q.I think my pet may have ingested some antifreeze. What are the symptoms of antifreeze poisoning?A.
The first sign of anti-freeze poisoning is that your pet will appear drunk. Get your pet to the veterinarian immediately and tell your veterinarian that you suspect your pet has consumed antifreeze.
It takes about three hours for a pet’s digestive system to fully absorb antifreeze. The “drunk phase” will occur from 30 minutes to 12 hours after ingestion, depending on the amount ingested. Next, the antifreeze’s ethylene glycol enters the pet’s liver and kidneys where it is oxidized into toxic products that acidify the blood and begin to destroy renal tubular cells in the pet’s kidneys. Next the pet’s blood begins to acidify. This creates trouble for nerve function, respiration, and other body processes. Ultimately, the antifreeze’s glycolic acid is broken down into oxolic acid. This goes through processes that shut down your pet’s kidneys and can be fatal if not treated within four to eight hours.
Q.How long can I leave my dog outside in winter?A.You should never leave your pet outdoors in temperatures below freezing. Small dogs or those that lack thick long fur can tolerate less cold than breeds such as Huskies. If you are cold, it is likely that your pet is cold too. Bring them inside the moment you start to feel cold yourself. Also, be sure to provide a warm shelter for your dog to use anytime they are outdoors.
Hi, my name is Terry. I manage this website for my furbaby, Daisy. When I first became interested in the Shichons, I found it was difficult to get information on them. A few sites, I am using for information are excellent sources. Then, I moved on to compile and share more information on choosing a good breeder, grooming, health, behavior, training and much more. I hope you enjoy this site and find it helpful. I am NOT promoting any information, just sharing. You and your vet know what is best for your baby.